After the Fire: Re-imagining the Cuming Museum
14th -20th May 2015: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
London College of Communication, Nursery Gallery, London, SE1 6SB
Two years ago, a fire destroyed some of the physical structure of the Cuming Museum and a number of its displays and collections. Housed in the former Walworth Town Hall, it is based on the worldwide collection of the Cuming family and is also the museum of Southwark’s history. Richard Cuming, and his son Henry Syer Cuming, lived locally and had a passion for collecting. Between them, during the late 18th and the 19th century, they acquired all kinds of objects from around the world. Henry left funds in his will to create a public museum, which opened above the Newington public library in 1906.
As well as the Cumings’ worldwide collection, the museum has many local history objects which reflect Southwark’s rich and diverse history and its unfolding story.
As the area around the Elephant and Castle changes and regenerates, Dr. Nicky Ryan and a group of LCC students have re-imagined the museum, and their work will be on show in this exhibition.
Find out more about the Cuming Museum: